Sunday, June 14, 2009

Aaah! Finally a looming storm!!


Some of you may think that I like violence, destruction and obliteration - but I must say, I am in general a peace loving guy - and could spend hours just watching trees swaying in the horizon against a clear blue sky. But, given the heat and humidity that we have been subject to during the past fortnight, even a harmless guy like me has been reduced to praying for a thunderstorm. The Aila, which came with a refreshing promise of an early monsoon, went away with a whimper - leaving us behind to bear the atrocities of the inhumane weather.

Sometimes, I feel that our monsoon department is paid simply to lie. Cause out of the 100 predictions made by them, 90 of them prove to be wrong. There is a funny joke wrt this.

Once a meeting was being held at New Delhi where the meteorological departmental heads of all the 28 states were invited. At the meeting, the Kolkata office head was lambasted left and right. "Mr. X, you represent an office which is the headquarter of Eastern India and yet everyday your office makes all the wrong predicitons. Because of your antics, our department has been reduced to a joke. Look at the Bhubaneshwar office - your neighbours with a similar climate - they are such a small office with minimal infrastructure, yet their predictions are always spot on. Shame on you." The Kolkata chief listened to all the admonishments with his head held low. However, at the end of the meeting, when he was going out with a heavy heart, he suddenly saw the Bhubaneswar chief waiting for a lift. He immediately caught hold of the guy, took him to a corner and asked him, "Man, can you please tell me your secret. It is amazing that I try my best, yet cannot come up with a single correct prediction and you get each of them right - what the hell is your secret?" The Bhubaneshwar guy, with a sheepish grin, replied, "Sir, you know that we have no equipments and we are a fairly new office. How can we make predictions based on our equipments? We follow a simple technique- Every morning I open the newspaper, look at the Kolkata office's predictions and just announce the exact opposite of that to be the weather for that day. Believe, it or not Sir, this technique works prefectly." The Kolkata chief was speechless to say the least, at such a candid confession.

Well, finally I can smell the petrichor, I am excited... maybe a storm is looming- maybe it is going to rain - I cannot be too excited cause I remember the Ghanan Ghanan scene from Lagaan. Poor people, after wasting so much energy in singing, prancing and dancing, they had to finally bear the heart-break of watching the rain clouds float away to another pasture....They could have might as well, waited for a few more hours instead of starting off the pre-mature celebrations. What idiots!!!!

No No - the petrichor wasn't a false alarm, my senses were not betraying me.. it has finally started raining - ahhh sweet rain, come drench me with all your chill and wetness and wash away my fatigue.... After all, as mentioned by the Leds -

"Upon us all a little rain
Must fall.
Just a little rain?"
P.S - Just as I was about to publish this, lightening struck (literally) and my net connection conked out.... I had to wait for 14 more hours before I could finally post this, by which, the weather is back to its sweltering best...so much for the effectiveness of the storm....

0 feedback:

Post a Comment