I don’t know, maybe because of this profession of mine, for some reason, I absolutely detest spelling mistakes. Typographical errors are still fine, I mean, every one makes some mistakes while typing at a 100-word-per-minute speed, which is what those sitting at the other side of the chat window expect from you. But, genuine spelling mistakes, yuck, are absolutely sacrilegious. If you make typographical errors, I can attribute that to your lack of accuracy at typing. If you make grammatical mistakes, then that can be explained by the fact that probably your thoughts get jumbled up while you type. But when you make genuine spelling mistakes and that too over a long stretch of conversation, it simply shows your lack of knowledge, awareness and enthusiasm.
Come on, with the programs like Microsoft Word and IESpell at your disposal, isn’t it absolutely impossible to make a spelling error these days, even if you had not been as finicky as me during your school days? (Once, I went up to the extent of reading up the Concise Oxford Dictionary to perfect my spelling skills, don’t call me nerdy, OK?). And, if you do not love fiddling on the computer, at least use the ever- reliable dictionary, which is even available online!! (God, where are the days when we friends had these little competitions about who can find out the meaning of a tough word from a paper dictionary- the actual bound ones with intoxicating aroma of an old book- in the shortest time and reveled in the joy when one won!) But for Christ’s Sake, please spare us from your atrocious spelling mistakes. Just a look at the mistakes, makes my blood boil. Even after all this technology and support, if you still continue making spelling mistakes, then please please go back to Class 5 and start afresh.
Forgive me, maybe I have some serious problem, or some kind of phobia against spelling mistakes (any idea what is the word for that? Someone said Orthographobia, but I don’t think it is right). But I hope, at least some of you can understand the cringing feeling every time I see a wrong spelling. I have lost count of the number of times I have missed my chances because of this J.
For example, there was this ‘hot’ girl and I met her, talked to her, she seemed quite interested in my demented sense of humour, yada, yada. Well, the conversation ended with she asking for my number and I was like – ‘Aha, There you go’ [:P]. Ok, now comes the tragic part. One hour later, I receive a message from her and I guess, you people probably have already guessed by now – the SMS was absolutely riddled with appalling spelling mistakes. Well, to be fair, I gave her a few chances hoping this was just SMS lingo and maybe she knew the right spelling and exchanged a few dozen messages. Nope, she never improved; in fact it was getting worse. Within a few hours, I was so flabbergasted, that I totally forgot, how sweet the girl looked, or how sensuous her smile was or that she seemed interested in me (which, is indeed a rare incident) – the only thing that I remembered of her was her horrendous knowledge of spelling. I must say, the same keeps happening to me w.r.t people, whom I meet over the net and once a bad impression is created w.r.t him/her because of the person’s mistakes in spelling, it rarely goes.
I am not saying I am perfect, actually I sometimes deliberately make spelling mistakes or pronounce a word differently to create a comic feeling or just to listen to admonishments from someone, but to make such mistakes unknowingly is actually uncool and a super turn off.
Well, that doesn’t stop me from being judgmental about others, isn’t it? J It is my judgement, my blog – so obviously I can judge whoever I want :P. (Don’t know why, but kind of reminds me of a scene from JTYJN where a sister on asking his brother whether she can sit on the couch beside him got this kick ass reply, “Your house, Your bums, Who am I to give you permission!”)
Random Lyrics
Goodbye Michelle my little one
You gave me love and helped me find the sun
And every time that I was down
You would always come around
And get my feet back on the ground
Goodbye Michelle it's hard to die
When all the birds are singing in the sky
Now that the spring is in the air
With the flowers everywhere
I wish that we could both be there
Signed and Sealed by John Galt..
0 feedback:
Post a Comment